Lupus Foundation of America, DC/MD/VA Chapter Presents
Active for Lupus 2013
Current Featured Event
2013 Marine Corps Marathon
Sunday, October 27, 2013
Support LFA-DMV while being active!
Welcome Friends, to the Lupus Foundation of America, DC/MD/VA Chapter's 2013 Active for Lupus website! This page will serve as a central hub for a variety of organized activities for running, cycling, swimming and more. While participating in these events we ask that you do so on behalf of LFA-DMV, garner support from your friends, family and coworkers to help us give those with lupus a fighting chance!
With a lot of enthusiasm and some planning, you can help raise much needed funds for the free programs and services we provide to lupus patients and their families. You could even become a top participant or top team and get featured on our website! Check out the resources in the menu to help with fundraising. Sign up with your company or friends and family team or as an individual.
Marine Corps Marathon Information
Thank you for your interest in Running for Lupus in the 38th Annual Marine Corps Marathon. We have 25 entries available and would love to have you represent the Lupus Foundation of America, DC/MD/VA Chapter.
Here is what you can expect if you decide to Run for Lupus.
First we will provide you with…
- Guaranteed entry into the 38th Annual Marine Corps Marathon
- Free one year membership to DC Road Runners Club (typically $20)
- Free 21-week marathon training through DC Road Runners Club (typically $90)
- Performance shirt for race day
- Lupus Team t-shirt
- Pre-race pasta dinner where you will meet board members, staff, volunteers and other runners like yourself.
- Fundraising support through personalized websites, pre-formed solicitation letters, thank you notes and much more.
- Weekly e-newsletters with running tips and fundraising help.
- The opportunity to realize your fitness goals and celebrate achieving them at our nation’s capitol!
In exchange, we recommend that you raise $1,000 or more in support for the Lupus Foundation of America, DC/MD/VA Chapter. These much needed funds will go directly towards supporting free patient services and health education for more than 80,000 people living with lupus in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Should you choose to set your goals higher you will receive…
- $1,000 – TBD
- $1,500 – TBD
- $2,000 – TBD
- $3,000+ – 2 night stay in Washington DC area hotel
Important information to know…
- Your entry fee of $99 will go towards the recommended $1,000 donation that we ask you raise.
- In the event that you must withdraw from the race the entry fee and contributions cannot be refunded.
- Anyone who does not raise $3,000 or more will have to make their own travel arrangements and accomodations in the Washington, D.C. Area.
If you have any questions or concerns please call 202-787-5380 or email email@example.com.
1. To create or join a team or to sign up as an individual participant, click on the "Register Here" button above.
2. To find an existing team, you can search through "Register Here" or you can click on "more" in the "Team Rank" box.
3. To find an individual, click on the "Register Here" button or "search" in the "Top Fundraisers" box.
4. Achieve your fundraising goal by sending personalized e-mails to your friends and family asking for their support.
Enjoy being active while helping fight lupus!
The Lupus Foundation of America, DC/MD/VA Chapter is dedicated to finding the causes of and cure for lupus and providing support and services to all people affected by lupus.
Lupus is a debilitating autoimmune disease for which there is no cure. Lupus primarily affects women in their child-bearing years (15-45) and is 2-3 times more likely to affect women of color. Lupus can affect any organ of the body, often attacking the kidneys, heart, lungs, and brain. The disease can manifest itself as chronic fatigue, joint pain and a characteristic butterfly shaped rash across the nose and cheeks.
Those living with lupus often feel alone and misunderstood because they don’t “look sick.” Lupus symptoms vary incredibly from person to person and therefore it can take years and multiple doctors to diagnose and then find the correct treatment
We cannot achieve our goals, provide patient programs and services, support research and spread awareness about lupus without each and every one of you. Please help us put a face on this little known disease. Help us make lupus a household name by being Active for Lupus!
*No federal or Marine Corps endorsement is implied*